We conjugate be in the past simple was/were and we put ING to the verbe.
II. Affirmative form
Rule : S + was/Were + V + ING + C
- I was singing
- They were studying
III. Interrogative form
Rule : Was/Were + V + ING + C + ?
- Was Fatou helping you ?
- Were children playing with you ?
IV. Negative form
Rule : S + was/were + not + V + ING + C
S + wasn't / weren't + V + ING + C
- He was not waiting for me.
- I wasn't listening to him.
- Girls were not cooking in group.
- They weren't looking at us.
V. Interronegative form
Rule : was /were + S + not + V + ING + C + ?
wasn't / weren't + S + V + ING + C + ?
- Was I not cleaning the yard ?
- Wasn't he making a pot ?
- Were workers not clapping their boss ?
- Weren't boys planting trees ?